Ready for Brunch Mate? @ Keong Saik Snacks

Ina had been raving about this place with Vanilla Chantilly since I last met up with her and she promised to show me her Chantilly love the next time we met.

That's how I ended up in Keong Saik Snacks.

We met up for brunch yesterday, which involved me getting really lost around Outram Park, people staring at me as I stared wildly around and walking up and down the street looking for Keong Saik Road.  After she met me at the zebra crossing of Jean Yip's Loft, I followed her hungry footsteps to Keng Saik Snacks.

Keong Saik Sacks serves casual British inspired food and is garnering a name itself in the competitive Singapore brunch scene.  It is a joint collaboration between British celeb chef Jason Atherton and local hotelier Loh Lik Peng to house a restaurant in a refurbished Chinatown shophouse with hipster and cool looking interior deco. Look out for the hidden door if you use the bathroom on premise. You could get super disorientated if they close that wooden door. 

 When we arrived there, there was an array of comfort brunch dishes to choose from. One can get bored of the big breakfast choice served all over the island. I mean where else can you get a Beef & Guinness Pot Pie for brunch?!

Ina dived into her brunch before I could say, "Hey is that the Baba Ganoush?" She happily dipped her sourdough bread into the turkish egg and swirled it around. There goes the shot for the Turkish Eggs, with Baba Ganoush and Lentil Yogurt.

For me, I had a sudden craving for Parma Ham. I scanned the menu... hmmm... nope. But my eye caught something, Iberico Ham. Hey, isn't Iberico Ham made from acorn gorging free ranging black pigs from Spain? There is a sunny side egg too! Why not?

That is how I ended up with the Iberico Ham & Manchego cheese croque madame with sunny side-ups ($19). The ham was a nutty saltish flavour and went really well with mellow sheep cheese. Did you know that La Mancha region, where the cheese is made, sits on the Iberian peninsula, where the ham is from?



The portions aren't really huge so for the super hungry people like us *don't stand in between us and good food* we ordered freshly made hot doughnuts with cinnamon and vanilla chantilly ($10) to share. 

Of course there is the mandatory cup of coffee for me. 

I did feel like I stepped into one of those restaurants where you could be on good terms with the serving staff. One stopped by to check if everything was alright with our brunch and asked for feedback. Another asked if we would like any punch to celebrate our girls' day out. This establishment does not shy away from the fact that one could start drinking before lunch *no I do not support getting drunk all the time nor advocate alcoholism* . In fact they even serve a drink called Red Light Mary to chase away the morning hangovers after a Saturday night's worth of partaying.

It's had been one of my more expensive brunches in a while but hey, Iberico ham!

Indulgence once in a while keeps me from throttling my clients.

Keong Saik Snacks 
Address: 49 Keong Saik Road, Singapore 089153
Tel: +65 6221 8338 (for enquiries only NO RESERVATIONs)
Web: www.keongsaiksnacks.com
Opening Hours: Weekend Brunch,  Saturdays, Sundays and PH (11am-4pm)
Price: $$
Getting there: Take MRT to Outram Park (Purple Line) ► take exit to Eu Tong Sen St ► Walk along road   and you will pass Pearl Centre  ► cross road to Jean Yip's Loft  ► Take Krete Ayer Rd  ► walk past Indian temple  ► keep walking and you will see Keong Saik Sancks on your right

Share:

0 comments