Budae Jjigae @ Seoul Yummy (Novena Square 2)

Everyone knows the Novena Square 2 has turned into a mini K-town. With its Korean hair salons to a shop selling only dubbuki, you can get your fix of Korean fashion in a quieter setting, compared to the crazily crowded Tanjung Pagar. *S & I got turned away from a restaurant on a Friday night and we were starving
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻*

For me, my main reason of venturing to Square 2 is budae jjigae or army stew. It's a no brainer dish where you throw whatever processed meat you can find, kimchi, tofu, instant noodles, gochujang (red pepper paste) and vegetables into a pot and let it cook. It's best taken on a cold rainy day. Like getting hot curry-flavoured Maggi mee tambah mata kerbau from mamak after getting caught in the rain.

I get my fix of Budae Jjigae "명물찌개" from Seoul Yummy. It's minimalistic decoration makes a diner focus on what's important and that's the food. Some parts of the restaurant is segregated into booths while the rest are in an open area.

Every main course comes with banchan or side dishes. The banchan usually changes depending what's available. I should store some banchan in my fridge since my housemates has taken up eating kimchi with everything lately.



Anyway back to the star of the post. Budae Jjigae's roots lie in the days where warring and post-war Korea used handouts or left overs from the U.S army bases to make this stew. It's a whatever goes sort of stew that you could make if you rifled through leftovers in your kitchen. The budae jjigae set comes with 2 sides (apart from banchan ), rice, and a dessert, of your choice. You can choose between the seafood or meat version of the dish. Did I mention that they serve roasted rice tea and its refillable?


Don't be turned off by the price of each set (SGD49.90++ for 2 pax). The portions of budae jjigae here is enough to feed 3 grown adults! Just order an extra rice and the 3rd person is good to go.

Apart from it being a meal you can share with your friends and family, I like that there are side dishes apart from the usual banchan. I always go for the panjeon :)  It's a smaller portion than the ala carte version but it's hard to finish once all that soup is in your tummy. Not into white rice? Seoul Yummy serves wild rice! It's part of their values to eat healthier. Most of their grilled stuff are cooked with water instead of oil. 
Panjeon and wild rice
Patbingsu - its yogurt by the way and not ice cream

I have been there 3 times for budae jjigae. I think I'll keep going back for more. 

Blogging about food always makes me hungry and its raining...hmmm

Seoul Yummy
Address: No. 10 Sinaran Drive, Square 2 #03-68, SG 307506
Tel: +6563976939
Opening Hours: 11am - 11pm
Website:http://www.seoulyummy.com.sg/index.htm

Share:

0 comments