At the Farm @ Petals and Leaves Bistro

I think I need to buy a lottery ticket.

2 days consecutively in a Mini. 2 different Minis owned by 2 different people, mind you.

My colleagues and I were doing some work near Jurong West and by the time we were done, it was nearing lunch.

Mid-week. Stress. Lack of sleep. Blinking light of Energy Level *imagines Ultraman*.

 Plus, we got into the office really early that morning to prepare for a 9.30am meeting.

Someone came up with the bright idea of joyriding back to the office. As we were near the farmlands, the joyride in the Mini lead us through back roads, vegetable and ornamental fishes farms. I never knew that ornamental fish was such a lucrative industry in Singapore until I saw the land size for the fishes.Tanks and tanks of wide eyed gaping mouthed koi!

Feeling the need to consume organically, we went for Petals and Leaves Bistro. The bistro is part of Garden Asia who specialize in providing flowers, organic props and lighting for events.Our designated driver vouched for the place as having pretty good food this far out west and has previously made multiple trips there with his family.


The bistro is also a watering hold after it turns dark. I'm not sure if this is the place that mosquitoes for Happy Hour from the alchohol laced blood coursing through your veins. With the wide open spaces, I saw that the bistro advertised their premises for team bonding events, seminars, press launches and filmings.

The bathroom is a little iffy though. I felt like I was back in the kampung, with its dankness and dim lights.

We grabbed a spot next to the pond with curious hungry fish poking their mouths out of the water hoping to catch whatever we may drop. The fish stalked me as I moved around the pond. Does a fish know when it is full? Or they go on eating until they expire from a full stomach?

The menu has a pretty good spread of affordable local, local fusion and western meals. For some strange reason we all had a craving for noodles . I went with the black pepper steak on hor fun. When my friend's mee goreng arrived, it smelled really good. The bistro used pasta instead of the usual mee hoon. Our stomachs were starting to growl. Then we noticed something strange. There was an unusually long wait between the dishes. Jer made the comment that maybe there is only one dishes were being cooked seperately. At first we laughed. As the minutes ticked by and dishes coming out at a slow rate, one by one, we started to pay attention to the sounds in the kitchen.

After every dish, we could hear the wok being fired again.Sounds of spatula against metal. Jer was right! My other colleague was almost done with her meal by the time mine came. I'm not sure if it was because we were the only ones around at that time of day or they just didn't want to wash too many utensils.

Black pepper steak with horfun

The food was pretty good. You can taste the "wok hei" or lit. wok breath. It means that the distinct taste your food will absorb when seared at high heat. With the food being yummy, I could forgive the same wok for 3 plates of noodles.

My beef was done well, and it wasn't tough. The vegetables, needless to say, were crunchy and fresh. Portions? Awesome! I could go back for seconds if it wasn't for the possibility that a long wait would be in store for me.
Latte which tastes as good as the boho places in town
If you are ever at Sg. Buloh wetlands, cross the street to Petals and Leaves for good food and coffee. Just hope that they use more than 1 wok.

Petals & Leaves Bistro
Address: 240 Neo Tiew Cresent Singapore 718898
Tel: 65 6898 9111
Fax: 65 6793 651
Price: $-$$
Website:http://www.gardenasia.com/2010/templates/homepage.php

Share:

0 comments